Dr Giresh Kanji talks about prescribing cannabinoids for pain management in primary care. Giresh is a musculoskeletal pain specialist who competed a PhD in chronic pain in 2013. He is currently performing a randomised control trial in chronic low back pain. He is the editor of the Australasian musculoskeletal medicine, author of fix your back and fix your neck pain headaches and migraine and founder of the New Zealand pain foundation a research charity. He consults from One Health in Auckland.
- What is cannabis and cannabis based products
- What beneficial effects do they produce?
- Adverse effects of cannabinoids
- Conditions that benefit
- Is there an evidence base that cannabinoids reduce morbidity or improve quality of life?
- Practicalities of prescribing cannabis based products in New Zealand
- What discussion points do we need to consider when exploring potential cannabinoid use for pain relief
- Best practice tips for prescribing
- Potential barriers to prescribing (cost)
- Can a patient import their own cannabis-based products for medicinal use into new Zealand?